The Raggedy Edge
or You Kiss Your Mama With a Mouth Like That?
The ‘Verse is a bad place. It’s hard to get through it without gettin’ angry, and sometimes as an Earth-That-Was author said, “When angry count four; when very angry, swear.” The most colorful terms are in Mandarin Chinese.
Basic Bad Language
- Gorram as in “Run! It’s the gorram law!”
- Ruttin’ as in “It’s gettin’ too ruttin’ hot in here!”
- Humped as in “He’s got a gun on us; we’re humped.”
- Browncoat—a member of the Independents (lots of Browncoats had their coats destroyed or dyed after the war, wanting to forget the past.)
- Browncoat Medals—scars from battles fought during the war.
- Purple Bellys—Alliance troppers (so called for their purple colored armor
- Feds, Federals—Alliance member, troops, workers
- Awful, dreadful, mighty, plum, powerful—adjectives for emphasis "It’s gettin’ awful crowded in here.
- Bang-up—great “They did a bang-up job!”
- Git—go away (also British slang for f-er “You’re a total git!”
- Ornery—stubborn, not passive
- Preacher—anyone religious
- Shindig—a party, usually with dancin’
- Shiny—good or valuable
- The Black—space
- Go to Blackout—shut down the power on a ship
- The Rim—frontier planets, not in the Core
- The ’Verse—inhabited space or the universe
- Bein’ Buzzed—getting scanned from another ship
- Berk—equivalent to Land-Lubber. Used as a term of condescension from spacers toward grounders.
- Nutriplex: A nutrient drink, good for needed vitamins and minerals but tastes like gos se. Common on spaceships.
- Quik-ment: the wonderful fix-all for hull holes.
- Throwbacks: People of the ’Verse who reject technology beyond basic firearms and combustion vehicles
- Vultures: Salvage ships
- Drops—illegal, addictive narcotic drugs
- Cortex—information network
- Wave—communication: text, audio, video, or holographic
A pretty complete guide to Firefly cussin’.
- Some highlights:
- Ta ma de.= “Dammit.”
- Aiya! = “Damn!”
- Bizui. = “Shut up.”
- Shi = “Affirmative”
- Hwai = “S—t.”
- Ni ta ma de. Tianxia suoyoude ren. Dou gaisi. = “Everyone under the heavens ought to die.”
- Ta ma de! Nimen de bizui! = “Everybody shut the hell up!”
- Oh, juh jen sh guh kwai luh duh jean jan… = “Oh, this is a happy development…”
- Dong ma = “understand?”
- Go tsao de = “dog humping”
- Wuh de ma. = “Mother of god.”
- Tzao gao. = “Crap.”
- Da-shiang bao-tza shr duh lah doo-tze = “The explosive diarrhea of an elephant”
- Hwun dan = “bastard”
- Guay = “hell”
- Wuh duh ma huh tah duh fong kwong duh wai shung = “Holy mother of god and all her wacky nephews”
- Ching-wah TSAO duh liou mahng = “frog-humping sonofab—”
- Tai-kong suo-yo duh shing-chiou sai-jin wuh duh pee-goo = “All the planets in space flushed into my butt”
Much of this was taken from the Serenity RPG from Margret Weis Productions.
To Main Page